Events to remember bring people together. In this post, we feature insights from Lee Richter's book, How To Create Events To Remember: Event Experts Share Their Success Secrets. Knowing what to do and knowing what to avoid are essential to the success of events. The key is to connect with your clients and build relationships with them. Therefore, successful events are experiences that create a good feeling for the people involved. While it "appears" effortless, you know a lot of work goes into it. Thus, it is that attention to detail that makes a big difference.
15 Characteristics Of Successful Events To Remember
As a hospitality provider and/or events coordinator, is there a particular type of gathering that appeals to you more than others? Also, what types of events would appeal to your ideal guests?
12 Types of Events Include
- Baby Showers
- Bar Mitzvahs
- Bridal Showers
- Charity Fundraisers
- Corporate Events
- Milestone Events
- Recognition Dinners
In addition, there are also many different elements to hosting events to remember. Most importantly, the key is to make decisions that please your clients AND make the event meaningful for guests.
10 Event Details To Consider
In her book, Lee Richter interviews several notable people within the events and hospitality industry. For instance, these are some of the common themes from their responses.
16 Important Steps To Growing Your Hospitality Business
- Act on behalf of your clients (being their advocate)
- Adapt to situations (always have a Plan B)
- Belong to professional associations (networking at events and exchanging referrals)
- Communicate well (clearly and effectively with clients)
- Earn a solid reputation (getting word-of-mouth referrals)
- Know your priorities (the goals and purpose of the event)
- Learn more every day (including self-education)
- Listen better (to what your clients want)
- Manage guest expectations (within budget and time constraints)
- Pay attention (to your surroundings)
- Share a consistent message (that targets your ideal clients)
- Show confidence (sets clients at ease)
- Teach your clients (especially about costs)
- Tell your story (to build your brand and business)
- Use experienced vendors (with excellent referrals & response times)
- Website represents exactly what you're doing (blogging, photography, social media, video)
Without a doubt, the best way to gain new clients can be from referrals by your satisfied clients. This is also known as "word of mouth" marketing. Moreover, when your clients share their reviews online (on review sites and social media), their recommendations reach even more people.
In her LinkedIn profile, Author Lee Richter, identifies three elements needed for entrepreneurs to leave a lasting legacy.
Firstly, implement marketing strategies.
- Know Your Ideal Customers
- Identify What They Desire To Accomplish
- Understand Their Challenges, Fears, Strengths, & Opportunities
- Connect with Them By Delivering A Clear Message
- Use The Right Mix of Media and Tools To Reach Them
Secondly, receive mentorship.
- Nurture Relationships With Mentors To Move Further & Faster (Than You Can On Your Own)
- Develop Relationships With Other Successful Business Owners
- Solve Your Unique Challenges With The Power of Knowledge
Thirdly, use the power of mindfulness.
- Embrace What Moves You
- Live The Difference You Want Your Life To Make
- Remember Why You Started Your Journey
- Practice On-Going Mindfulness For A Solid Foundation
- Then Your Legacy Can Thrive
Furthermore, as mentioned earlier, author Lee Richter recommends incorporating "Plan B's" into everything you do. Sometimes unexpected things happen. For example, one interviewee recalled that some kids were running in a reception hall. Unfortunately, the wedding cake ended up on the floor. As a last-minute solution, dozens of cupcakes from a local bakery were used instead. Thus, a potential disaster prevented!
Most importantly, respond quickly and appropriately. Make events "appear" to run smoothly even when things go wrong. That is the hallmark of creating successful events to remember. As a result, your guests will love you for it. Even better, they will recommend your services to their loved ones!
Would you like to host events (or more events) this year? I can help you identify your ideal audience based upon your local area and your ideal guests. This will also be based on your interests and experience. We'll put a marketing plan in place for you to earn this additional revenue. Contact Kristi Dement for a free (no-obligation) 20-minute phone consultation.