Do you know how to increase your bookings? This blog post will share insights from the book, The Tourist Magnet Formula: Transform Your Hotel Into a Fully-Booked Tourist Attraction Using Modern, Practical Digital Marketing Tools by Andrei Tiu.
Understand Your Values and Communicate Your Brand
- Look at what guests mention in their reviews
- Know what marketing messages you want to communicate
- Analyze your guests' perception and the way you actually want to be perceived
- See how the two perspectives match
- Identify where there are gaps or differences
Assess Your Communication Activity
- Note followers, engagement, and posting consistency on all social media
- Look at email open (% of people who opened the email) and click-through rates (% of people who clicked on specific links in your email)
- Examine partnerships with any travel booking sites and travel agencies
- Make a list of any media attention and publicity you receive
- Determine what drives the most traffic, engagement, bookings, and effective social media results
- How well is your marketing message being conveyed to your customers?
Ask the Right Questions
- What is your ideal vision for your hospitality business?
- Do guests associate your business/association with certain values?
- If so, are they the ones you wanted them to be?
- Identify the best ways to enhance your unique offerings and attract your ideal guests
- What insight can you draw from your guest feedback?
- How would you like for your guests to refer to their experiences from now on?
Design Your Objectives the SMART Way
- Specific, simple, and significant: What exactly do you want to achieve? Why is the goal important? What resources will you need?
- Measurable and meaningful: How much? How many? How will you know when you achieve your goals?
- Achievable and attainable: How realistic are your goals? How will you achieve them considering other constraints that may interfere?
- Relevant and realistic: Will it get you closer to your "dream business scenario"? Is it the right time to put in the energy?
- Time bound, time sensible, and time limited: When do you need to achieve your goals? What can you do today, this week, this month, and this year that will get you closer?
Know Which Areas You Would Like to Improve, By How Much, and In What Time Frame
- Branding (customer perceptions)
- Growth (more guests or association members)
- Marketing (including email marketing and social media)
Define Your Marketing Strategy
- Know where you are
- Know where you want to go
- Have deadlines for measuring and achieving success
- Know your target audience (your ideal guests)
- Establish how you will reach them
- Gain clarity over your desired branding
Define Your Target Audience
- Have an "ideal customer persona" (description of your ideal guests)
- Then segment groups of people that will fit under that criteria
- The language used for each segment should be different and match as closely as possible to their type of language and attitudes
- Deliver the right message to the right customer at the right time using the right language and right channel
Define Your Marketing Channels Mix
- Decide which actions to take first to maximize your impact
- Try to be active on at least 4 or 5 social media channels (where your audience is)
- Determine how you want to position your inn/association
- Understand your unique features and how they are important to your guests to communicate them effectively
- Identify your brand values to differentiate yourself from your competition
- Consider new products and services valuable to your ideal customers
Check For These Website Factors
- Clean and easy to navigate (does it visually make sense?)
- Descriptions (how well does your content appeal to potential guests?)
- Loading time (the slower the website, the faster they leave)
- Local area (do you feature local attractions and events?)
- Mobile optimization (does it adapt to different devices?)
- Partners (do you promote any partnerships with local businesses?)
- Pictures (are they attractive and professional?)
- Reviews (do you include the comments of previous guests?)
- Social Media (do you have links to each of your ACTIVE social media networks?)
- Usability (how user friendly is it?)
- Video (do you have video content to give guests a more personal look?)
Use Social Media Wisely
- Blog regularly and share on social media
- Convey your brand personality
- Encourage your guests to follow your social media and mention you
- Follow accounts with 1,000+ followers
- Hashtags to get discovered easier
- Interact with your audience
- Links to articles and recipes
- Planned posts and consistent activity
- Post pictures
- Real-time updates
- Share descriptions
- Show what makes your accommodations unique
- Strong call to action
- Time of day your audience is most active
- Titles that include keywords your public uses
- Upload videos
- Use language your audience uses
Build Your Online Reputation
- 3rd party opinions and guest recommendations tend to be far more trusted
- Ask for guest reviews in the best possible way
- Automate email to follow up with guests
- Encourage corporate travelers
- Influencer marketing (post guest reviews from notable people)
- Partner with local information and travel centers
- Show your intention to keep in touch further
Reach Your Dreams
When you successfully implement these factors in your marketing, you will increase your bookings. Need more clarity? Contact Kristi from Bed and Breakfast Blogging for a free 15-minute phone conversation.
Image by Marcus Berg of Unique Angles Photography