New Years resolutions can be a successful way to set goals. The best goals are SMART goals: specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time-bound. First, we will talk about these 5 components to SMART goals. Next, will be a list of 20 areas for bed and breakfasts to set marketing goals. For each area, a SMART goal example will be given. Let this inspire you to achieve your B&B New Years resolutions.
The more specific you can be with goals, the easier it will be to attain them. In other words, vague goals don't lead to consistent improvement. For instance, instead of having the general goal to "exercise more" you should specify the type of exercising you will do. The easiest way to exercise is to find a physical activity you enjoy doing.
You must know how you will measure your progress. For example, a house painting company may set goals as to the average size of the houses they paint as well as how many houses they paint in the coming year. This makes it easy for them to know if they are reaching their goals.
I do believe in dreaming big and achieving great things. However, most people will never score a perfect 300 in one game of bowling. Set goals that are possible to realize. As an illustration, a retail store with a location that gets more customers coming through is more likely to sell more than that same retail store if it only receives a handful of customers every day at another location.
Each goal must be relevant to your overall goals. For example, juggling three balls at a time may be a worthwhile goal, but will it help you if your main goal is to make more money? It is rare to have a steady career as a professional juggler. However, since it has other benefits like improving hand-eye coordination and physical fitness, this may be an excellent hobby.
Goals with deadlines are more likely to be achieved. Furthermore, if you have a large project (like a report), you can list the specific tasks involved (such as researching, reading, outlining your points, and writing several drafts) and set deadlines for those tasks. By holding yourself accountable (or having someone else hold you accountable), you have exponentially increased your chances of completing your overall goal.
The 20 Best Marketing Resolutions For Bed and Breakfasts
- Advertising: Boost 1 Facebook post each month for $X
- Associations: Belong to 2 hospitality associations each year for a total of $X
- Awards: Earn the TripAdvisor Award of Excellence this year
- Blogging: Blog once per week on topics relevant to your inn and local area
- Branding: Buy & Sell this # of coffee mugs with your B&B name and logo
- Content: Develop a monthly content calendar with consistent themes
- Email: Send e-newsletter every 2 weeks to those on your growing email list
- Events: Host this # of weddings, private parties, and/or retreats and earn $X
- Extras: Get a mini-fridge for each guest room as an added room amenity
- Local ambassador: Develop exclusive partnerships with 5 local businesses
- Packages: Add 1 holiday, 1 seasonal, and 1 occasion package for your guests
- Photography: Update professional photography for website for $X
- Press: Get published in Bed & Breakfast Magazine or be featured in the news
- Reviews: Respond personally to each online guest review in a tactful way
- Reputation: Set up a Google alert for your B&B name online (to stay aware)
- Reservation software: Increase your occupancy rates by X% from last year
- Rewards: Set up a frequent guest program and incentives for guest referrals
- Search engine optimization: Strive for 1st page of Google for certain keywords
- Social media: Post 2-3 times per week on 3 different social media channels
- Website: Increase page speed (how fast the content loads on your website)
Your B&B New Years Resolutions
If you would like some assistance setting, achieving, and even exceeding your B&B New Years Resolutions goals, you are welcome to contact Kristi Dement of Bed and Breakfast Blogging. I offer a free 20-minute phone consultation. Best wishes to you and your B&B business in the New Year!
Top Image by Marcus Berg of Unique Angles Photography